Dinner is always a challenge for food, as a lot of times I barely have time to make anything whether I’m getting back from class or work. So I am all about recipes that don’t use too many pots and pans (I am NOT a dishes person) and are good in a snap. This recipe is very customizable, for different tastes and also dietary preferences.
Start with cubed sweet potatoes or butternut squash, and sauté with olive oil or butter, garlic, and lemon in a pan. Add some tomatoes once the squash/potato is golden brown, for only a minute or two, and add some arugula at the very end. Serve over your favorite pasta, with some feta or goat or parmesan cheese.
See what I mean? SO customizable. You can pick between sweet potato or butternut squash, whatever kind of tomatoes you like, whatever kind of pasta you like, and with whatever cheese you want. Add some chicken, too, if you want! For pasta, tonight I used Barilla Plus for some extra protein, but ravioli is FANTASTIC.
How local is this? Very. Tomatoes are a little difficult to find at this time of year in New England, and lemons are impossible, but the arugula and sweet potato are from the Winter Farmer’s Market in Pawtucket, RI (run by Farm Fresh RI). Your local Italian restaurants and markets often sell fresh, locally produced pasta. Pair this with some extra veggies on the side to increase the fiber!
- One serving (2 oz) of Barilla Plus Angel Hair
- 1/2 Sweet Potato
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Handful of Arugula
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 tsp Garlic
- 1 Cup of chopped tomatoes
- 1/8 cup of Feta
- Protein – 16 g
- Carbohydrates – 60 g
- Fiber – 8 g
- Sugar – 10 g
- Fat – 31 g
- Pick between sweet potato (adds a few more carbs) or butternut squash (pure veggies!)
- Pick between butter (more fatty) or olive oil (healthier fat)
- Feta, goat, parmesan…whatever cheese you want! Or no cheese!
- Feel free to add more veggies if you’d like
- Pick whatever kind of pasta base you like!
- Add some chicken or pancetta
If you want to learn more about the produce and products I used, go to:
- Farm Fresh RI’s Winter Farmer’s Market in Pawtucket, RI: http://www.farmfresh.org/food/farmersmarkets_details.php?market=29
- Barilla Plus Angel Hair pasta: https://www.barilla.com/en-us/products/pasta/proteinplus/proteinplus-angel-hair
- For some good, free-range butter, available at Whole Foods: http://vitalfarms.com/our-alfresco-grass-fed-butter/